What to do around Cali - The best of
The countryside around Cali offers a scala of activities and attractions. Among them paragliding, diving, rainforrest hikes, whale spotting, pacific beaches and handpropelled traintrack cars to San Cipriano. The Iguana can arrange tours of these attractions.
- Rio Pance / Los Farallones - get connected to the nature, swim in the river or hike to one of the peaks of the cloud forest
- San Cipriano - go tubing into the jungle
- Ladrilleros - jump over waves in the Pacific coastal village
- Paragliding - fly like a bird
- Isla Gorgona - dive and relax at this pretty unspoiled island
- Haciendas - visit 18th century hacienda with exhibits of the the natural history the region like the cultivation of sugarcane
- Nirvana - experience great diversity in flora and fuana with more than a 100 species of birds
- Lago Calima - learn Windsurfing or Kitesurfing while relaxing at this windy lake
- Darien - The village Darien near the lake Calima has a nice museum of the indigenous cultures from the region.
San Cipriano is a small town on way to the Pacific coast. Since the
town can only be reached by rail, the locals improvised their own
railway service of hand and motor propelled carts. Wich makes getting
there the biggest adventure. Once there its possible to take a hike in
the rainforrest or relax by the river.
Visiting San Cipriano can be done as a daytrip but also offers the possiblity for overnight stay. It can also serve as a stopover on the way to the Pacific coast or Isla Gorgona.
National park los Farallones is about an hour away from Cali and close to the popular weekend get away Rio Pance.
It offers Cloud forrest and rivers for swimming. Its possible to stay overnight inside the park or in the nearby village. For more adventures spirits its possible to make a multiple day hike to one of the peaks of the park.
Isla Gorgona is Colombia´s biggest Pacific island and national park
which can be reached by boat from Beunaventura. It offers diving with
high possibility of seeing hammerhead sharks and other big fish.
Depending on the season, whale spotting also can be part of the
To visit and stay on the island, a permision is needed from the national park administration.
Colombia is one of the cheapest places in the world to go Paragliding.
The cordillera Central on the otherside of the Valle de Cauca about 40
minutes from Cali is the most popular spot. With German Air you can
take tandem flights or get certified for soloflights. Optional stay in
a finca near the mountains is possible.
In de Valle de Cauca there are various old haciendas to visit. El
Paraiso is the hacienda where Jorge Isaacs used to live and where he
wrote the novel ''La Maria''.
Pie de Chinche is a hacienda built in the 18th century with exhibits of the the natural history the region like the cultivation of sugarcane. Many of the regions flowers are represented in the haciendas beautifull gardens.
Nirvana is a private reserve located 40 km from Cali in the Cordilla Central. The reserve used to be a coffee plantation but has been given back to nature. Its offers a great diversity in flora and fuana with more than a 100 species of birds. Its also has a botanical garden, ecological walks, swimming pool and restaurant with a spectacular view of the Valle del Cauca.